We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: August 14, 2016
A Helpful Guide to Healing after Dental Implants
When you’re missing a tooth, you have a few different tooth replacement options, such as a bridge, dentures, or dental implants. If you choose to restore your smile with a dental implant, discover expert tips to ensure a healthy and rapid recovery.
The Primary Procedures
After you’ve selected a dental implant as your tooth replacement treatment, your dentist will need to determine which type of procedure to use. Today, there are several different procedures and the selection process is determined by the complexity of your case, the type of implant used, and dental implant costs. More complicated cases require a three-part process that spans the surgical treatment over a few months to allow time for healing. Simpler cases may be eligible for same day dental implants, which offer greater convenience and shorter recovery time. But you should keep in mind that same day dental implants tend to cost more than the long-term option. However many people find that their immediate results are worth the higher dental implant costs.
The Right Way to Recover
The best way to ensure a proper recovery is to follow all instructions provided by your dentist. Usually these include:
- Eat only soft foods for the first few days post-procedure, slowly introducing firmer foods as your mouth heals.
- Maintain good dental hygiene habits to protect the surgical site from decay and infection.
- Soothe any discomfort with the recommended pain relievers.
- Avoid strenuous activities for a few days after treatment.
- Go to follow-up dental appointments as instructed.
- Call your dentist immediately with any questions or concerns.
3 Simple Steps for Aftercare
According to dental experts, dental implant surgery has between a 95 percent and a 97 percent success rate. To ensure you experience similar success, follow these simple aftercare tips:
- Maintain good oral hygiene, including twice-daily brushing and flossing every day, to keep dental implants free from food and debris.
- See your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings, as well as to detect any problems at their earliest stage.
- Avoid bad dental habits, such as chewing ice and using teeth as tools.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Northern New Jersey, call Garden State Dental today at or make an appointment.
Garden State Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Northern New Jersey. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Garden State Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Garden State Dental.