Posted on: July 3, 2016
Seven Most Common Causes of Halitosis
Halitosis is more commonly called bad breath, but no matter what you call it, it’s a pressing problem for millions. Family dentistry experts say there are many causes of this chronic condition. The good news is that knowing the cause of bad breath allows you to treat the problem.
- Forgotten Food Particles – When food particles remain in your mouth, they breed bacteria, which causes a very bad odor. Also, pungent foods, such as garlic and onions, leave a lasting mark on your breath. But good oral hygiene allows you to remove those bits of food and avoid the bad breath they cause.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – If you don’t brush and floss every day, bacteria collects on your teeth and develops into plaque. This can cause deep pockets in your gums where bacteria can hide and produce bad breath. Yet good oral hygiene can help you avoid the issue.
- Dry Mouth – Saliva rinses away the bacteria and food in your mouth. If you don’t produce enough saliva, these particles remain and lead to halitosis. This is a common condition known as dry mouth.
- Oral Infections – Did you know that bad breath can be caused by surgical wounds after oral surgery? These wounds can attract bacteria, which leads to halitosis. If you have any lingering wounds after an oral procedure, see an affordable dentist right away to help you heal from the injuries.
- Certain Medications – Some medications can result in bad breath by contributing to dry mouth. Be sure to discuss your medications with an affordable dentist to see if they’re affecting your breath.
- Medical Conditions – There are some diseases that produce chemicals that cause bad breath, such as certain cancers, metabolic disorders and even chronic acid reflux. And severe nasal and throat infections can also lead to halitosis. Ask a family dentistry expert if your medial situation may be harming your breath.
- Smoking – Tobacco produces a very strong odor, as well as increases your risk of gum disease and other medical conditions that can leave you with pungent breath. If you smoke, you need to stop to save both your breath and your health.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Northern New Jersey, call Garden State Dental today at or make an appointment.
Garden State Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Northern New Jersey. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Garden State Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Garden State Dental.